Friday, October 11, 2013

Well, we just got back from a nice little vacation. The kids got to skip school, hubby took some time off and we traveled to Las Vegas then on to my parents' house. One of the highlights was that my kids had their very first flight on an airplane. Hubby dropped the kids and I off in the Big City then drove to Las Vegas and picked us up at the airport there. After he dropped us off in the Big City, we had several hours before our flight so we hit the movie theater and had a double feature (Despicable Me 2 and Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs 2). Then we took a cab to the airport, made our way through security and settled in at the gate to wait for boarding. Here are some photos of a couple of extremely excited kids at the airport.
My photobomber

another photobomb
the gate

I'm going to fly on a plane!

Waiting patiently

Unfortunately, near the time they were to begin boarding the plane, we found out that the flight had been delayed an hour due to adverse wind conditions in Las Vegas. :( Then after an hour we found out it was delayed yet another hour. :( But they finally cleared the plane for takeoff and we got to board.
Yes! OK'd for takeoff!
We FINALLY get to board!
Here are a couple onboard.
At the gate but finally on the plane

about to take off

The actual flight was uneventful (unless you count the really inebriated group across the aisle from us. But at least they were happy drunks).

Hubby picked us up at the Las Vegas airport and then we drove the rest of the way to my parents' house. We had a great visit. And enjoyed the warm weather. We'd had below freezing temps (overnight) before we left our house so being somewhere that was in the 80's was a treat. Of course, visiting with family was an even bigger treat. But we had to head home yesterday. No planes this time. I have to say I prefer flying. ;)

Anyway, today we did some harvesting from our garden. Since we've had freezing weather already most everything is dead or dying. We had about a million billion tomatillos out there. We picked an overflowing 5 gallon bucket full plus more. Maybe another 3/4 of a 5 gallon bucket. And there are still tomatillo plants out there with more tomatillos to pick. I'll be roasting and freezing some plus canning some salsa with them. We also harvested potatoes. I don't know how many pounds we dug but it was quite a lot. Both Yukon Gold and Red Pontiac potatoes. Plenty of large sized potatoes for eating plus plenty of little ones to use for seed potatoes next year. Here are the kids digging potatoes.

this is just a fraction of the potatoes we dug

conjoined potatoes

The kids dug for a while then got tired so I was left to finish digging. Our chickens were having a ball scratching in the freshly turned dirt and eating all the roly poly bugs they could find. There were a LOT of roly polies. The chickens were in heaven. Tomorrow we'll have to finish picking tomatillos and start processing them. That's pretty much the end of the garden for the year. There are some more carrots out there and some parsnips but I think that's it.

Alright, well, I guess that's all for now. Bye!

No comments: